Friday, July 26, 2013

Another Pediatric Rant.



Yup.
Yup. Here is another one. A rant about the inner workings of the pediatric world. You sick of these yet? Tough. I work in a pediatric office. What do you expect? Deal with it. I sometimes hate when I just blog-rant. But it is so stress relieving. So you may just have to deal with one more of these. Sorry.


Just a heads up. I am not a parent. Probably won’t be for awhile. But where I work I see parents in action and sometimes it makes me sick. So this is an opinion. On what I consider “Bad Parenting” to be. Don’t agree? That’s fine.


First off… minor rant of sorts. If you have children and you take them to a public place…PLEASE clean up after them. I swear I have cleaned up poop on walls before in my office. Sometimes I walk into a room ready to clean it for the next patient and it is like 3 little tornados have gone through the room. Crumbs are everywhere, it smells like rank diaper, our books are destroyed, and walls are colored. How in hells sake can you just let your children run amuck and destroy other people’s property. Had I done that as I child I would be punished faster than you swat at a mosquito. It is ridiculous how inconsiderate some people are. GAH! Fix it future parents. Its pathetic.


Now the major rant. Put your big kid pants on. This might get crazy. Every now and then we get children who are spawn of Satan. Hellians. Demons. They scream and kick and yell and bite. (yes we have had people bitten) Just the joys of working with kids right? WRONG! I honestly believe that behavior is learned. Yes genetics take a role in certain things, but in this regard I am 100% nurture. (Unless there is physical brain deformities or problems...but that’s a whole other post)


About 110% of the time these children have parents who baffle me. While their child is screaming at me while all I want to do is weigh them….they sit there and are playing “Angry Birds”. Or they sooh and cooh to the child and say in the sweetest voice possible “it’s all right.” I understand that we are kind of a traumatizing place to be at. I get that. But this goes deeper then freaking out about getting a shot and crying.

How my patients acted today, and how I feel about this topic...

 

What I am talking about is these kids learn the system. If they throw a fit they will get away with it. They become entitled. If I don’t get what I want, I will throw a fit until I get what I want. Mom and Dad aren’t going to do anything about it. Then when I get what I want I will be the cute little angel my parents are conditioning me not to become. Soon I am a terror and when they can’t control me they will blame it on ADD. (once again a WHOLE other post that I will not even mention at the moment.)


 

For me I hate this. I think it stems a lot of problems in society. I think this form of pediatric entitlement eventually morphs into bullying, and other adolescent issues. Procrastination and street youths (if you get the New Girl reference you are a rock star) thinking they are better then everyone else. There is an article on KSL that is BOOMING with comments about a group of cheerleaders from Highland. They are upset because they are being kicked off the cheerleading team because they had 18 UNEXCUSED ABSENCES! Eighteen. Not two. Almost Twenty. What ever happened to consequences and accepting that sometimes you don’t get everything you want? Here is the article. Its ridiculous how many parents are defending them saying that the school is in the wrong. What the hell!?

 


 

The point I guess that I am trying to get at with this post is aimed at parents. Don’t let your kids control you. They need to learn responsibility. If you do not teach them that by act and deed. Through punishment and example. They will never learn. And they will grow up to be bullies and Highland Cheerleaders. Like I said earlier…I am not a parent. But I have INCREDIBLE examples all around me. One thing they have in common…their children behave. Why? Because they don’t put up with their crap. Be proactive. Care about the future of your children. What we do when out kids are 2 and 3 can have a profound impact on their lives. Make sure it is the right impact.

ugh....too true.
 

 

 

P.S. this is a long one. Sorry. Very close topic that I see on a daily basis. What do you think about the whole issue?

 

P.P.S 2000 blog points for reading. This one was brutal.

No comments:

Post a Comment