Friday, July 19, 2013

Music and the Imperius Curse



Sorry it has been awhile since I have blogged. I have been busy planning the wedding of the century and time escapes you. Luckily have saved a few ideas that I have been floating around in my brain….this should allow me to blog a little bit more consistently for a bit! Whoop.
 

This post is another one about music. I love music. A lot. Who doesn’t!? Crazy people. However this post isn’t about songs I love or bands who have incredible lyrics…it’s about something that I have been wondering about for a bit and I would like to see some other peoples opinion on the matter.
 

The question at hand is…can music make us do things? Can repetition of a certain style of music or hearing certain lyrics alter our decisions and make us do stuff. In essence, can music control our minds? How many bands have been attacked for being “the devil’s music?” or “Brainwashing music…”
 

I completely agree with the fact that music can influence our mood. When I am pissed I will listen to certain songs that help me vent that anger. When I am emotional I have certain songs that help me come out of the slump. I think this aspect of music is incredible and is very healthy for the crazy journey that is life. However I don’t think that by doing this the music is making me act in a certain way…or is it?
 

I have started pondering this with the large amount of crazy music on the radio at the moment. Primarily Miley Cyrus’s crazy new song “We Cant Stop.” (the music video will ghive you nightmares…Hannah Montana is truly dead) A song that basically tells its listeners that it doesn’t matter what you do because the only person who can judge who is god. Then you have the onslaught of “life is a party” lyrics in singers like Ke$ha. Who basically tell the world that life is a party and that we shouldn’t need to grow up… This also compliments Avril Lavignes new hit as well.
 
After watching the new music video....
 
 

Don’t get me wrong…I thoroughly enjoy these songs. But to me they are just fun songs. I listen to the real lyrics and I wouldn’t want my future children embracing the themes of the songs. It would ruin their lives. Does that happen though? Do we let music become so much a part of us that we start to let it influence our decisions? How many punk rock songs talk about suicide and then when kids kill themselves we blame a song. How is that even possible?    


My opinion is that all men have agency. The ability to choose our destiny. I don’t think that music makes us do things. I think it can influence our mood and our attitude. But I don’t think it makes us act a certain way. With this is mind, I think I am able to enjoy music a lot more, as I am not so caught up in the “brainwashing” of the song. I mean The Beatles were thought to cause brainwashing, and is there really a better band then the Beatles!?
 

Random and fragmented post…but comes from the soul. Let me know if you disagree or agree. I would like to get other peoples opinions on this!

 
I just thought is was absolutely hilarious....


P.S. 900 points if you state your opinion. Plus I will give you 3 high fives next time I see you! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment