Friday, May 31, 2013

The Game Called "LIFE"



The past couple of days, I have had the great opportunity to play the game called "Life." Now, I am a firm believer that bored games are called bored games for a very good reason. However, Life is one of those games that teach you a lot about well...life. It is an enjoyable game, and I will relate my observations on this peculiar past time.

In the game of life you land on squares that ultimately decide your fate. Random events happen in our daily lives that we can’t control. These events may cause us grief or happiness. Unfortunately we can’t pick them out. In essence each day we spin that rainbow spinner and life throws at us something different each day.

Stupid wheel.....
 

Life in reality is much more complex than the game of life is however. Yet in a way it is very similar to the board game. Random things happen and these can be good or bad. Sometimes we win the lottery and get $160,000. Other times our grandparents die and we spend money to keep their grundle of cats alive, sometimes we are fertile myrtles, sometimes we are the poor schmucks, and sometimes we steal $1000.00 bills from the banker (im not bitter). Life in a way is 100% random. We try to take control of life. But more than not life takes control of us. We make mistakes, we spend money, our cars break down, we get engaged, we are rude, we get a scholarship, we go bankrupt, we take out loans, we get in fights, and we forgive.

I am one of those people who like to plan.  I plan Everything. My career is mapped out and when life throws something at me that ruin those plans…. I have an anxiety attack. This is ridiculous. There are aspects in my plan that I can’t control and I need to accept this. Life will throw at me something and I will have to face it. The true test is whether I can handle it or not. So far, I think I’ve done pretty well.

The truth is life is unpredictable. For as much as we plan. Something always comes up. Both to good and to bad people. No matter what god or belief system you have. I think it is extremely ignorant to say that the divine shouldn’t let good things happen to bad people.  We are all incredibly different, and our lives take incredibly different paths. We all make decisions that not only affect us, but thousands of other people. We cannot understand the actions of others, and often times we suffer for it. Is that fair? Of course it is, and of course it isn’t. But that is life.

This is an incredibly fragmented and broken post…but things happen and they make a kid think. Sometimes crap happens. And I hate it. But there isn’t anything I can do about it. As a missionary I think this was one of the hardest things to teach people. We would tell them that god loves them. They would then ask if he did why were they poor and destitute when evil people are rich and successful. Valid question no? I think it is just one of the hardest things to accept. How can we deal with life not being fair? Just seems like a paradox to me.
 

I beauty in all of this is we still get up. Day after day. And live life. We shouldn’t ever give up. One of the greatest things my father has taught me is that each day the sun will set and there isn’t anything you can do about that. Then it will rise the very next day, and you have a fresh start. The chance to start a new. This gives me hope, and it helps me cope with the crazy that is the “Game of Life.” Why cant life be more like Monopoly?

 

p.s. random post, but I needed to write something and this is what came out. Give yourself 500 blog points!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment