Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A necessary evil in the pediatric world.

Many of you know that I work in a Pediatric office. I LOVE my job. A lot. When it comes to medicine there isn’t much I don’t love. Things such as throat swabs, urine spinning, sutures, and finger pricking, are a few of the various tasks I do in my office. All of which I enjoy. (Swab is one of those words…just figured that out. Like moist…or soiled.) I also love the kids. They. Are. Hysterical. And yet, many of them hate me because I poke them with needles and such. If there is anything though I DESPISE about my jobs…it’s the parents.
How i feel about this...

Parents. A necessary evil in the pediatric world. These past three weeks I have met a sloo of ornery parents who could probably benefit from a shot or two themselves. Today I endured ranting’s from a woman who wanted to know why I had to poke her child’s finger to test for hemoglobin. I need blood. How do you get blood? Poking, biting, vomiting, pooping or cutting. Take your pick. And let me know what it is.  She then had to leave the room so she wouldn't see her child suffer.  I understand that it isn't fun to watch your kid cry. But come on. This is medicine. Not torture.  The tests we are doing will help identify if your child has any diseases and or genetic defects. Your child will heal from a small pin prick. Everything will be fine.  Don’t attack medicine because we cause one minute of pain and crying. The future benefits GREATLY out way the drawbacks. And by the way…most of the times the nerves are not developed enough to even sense that much pain. They cry because they are uncomfortable. And they DEFINITELY won’t remember. Anyone remember their circumcision? Didn’t think so.




My biggest beef with parents in a medical setting is those who do not immunize their children. UGH if you know me you know this is one of my biggest pet peeves of all times. (dont bring it up when i am around...) I feel it is one of the most arrogant and selfish things you can do to your child. I do not understand the rationale behind it. Don’t even try the whole “they cause autism/ADD/any other behavioral disease” at me. I will blast you with about 100 articles proving you wrong. I think this hits home so much is that my Grandpa almost died of polio. And his sister did. Yet we have children who are in our schools and communities who can contract the disease. Because their parents don't want them to have another disease... We have already eradicated about 99% of the disease through the vaccine. But it only takes one child. One kid who is not immune to it, to have that one virus who has received immunity from resistance plasmids. Who then passes that IMMUNE polio virus to the next person. Bringing an “extinct” disease back.  I will be the first to kidney punch that parent if my kid gets some sort of new polio virus because their kid is not vaccinated.
Yeah lets not vaccinate. 


Final beef at the moment. Parents who think we can bend the rules. In medicine there are VERY strict rules. ESPECIALLY when it pertains to controlled substances like Adderall, Ritalin, Vyvanse, Focalin, Metadate, Concerta and other ADD Stimulants. (all of which are addictive and can cause death with overdose…hence the CONTROLLED part) These drugs are DANGEROUS. They are used to treat a very difficult yet over diagnosed disease. Medical offices cannot just hand out prescriptions willy nilly. Yet parents think that we can just fill them if they don’t meet certain requirements. I HATE THIS. Drives me crazy. Just because you didn't keep track of the pills your child is taking, or you lost your prescription you think I will make it rain Adderall from the heavens. Its not manna. There are rules I will follow and you need to follow the same ones. Hell, if I wanted to I would just get a prescription ready for myself. I have a trigonometry test next Wednesday that I could use some Adderall for. Pretty sure some parents have the same idea. Not kidding.
Accuarte representation of a few parents in my office. 


Wow. This was quite the therapeutic rant.  Sorry if I offended any one or any personal beliefs. But these are my beliefs and I am entitled to them. Shout out to the parents of the world. PLEASE do your research about vaccines. They are not bad. Check your sources and then ask your doctor. I am 398% sure they will tell you vaccinate your children. I have thought about not even accepting children who are not vaccinated when I become a physician. It’s that important to me. Everything else. Just be a decent person. No one likes a jerk.



P.S. Sorry if I did offended any one. These themes are clos e to my heart as an aspiring medical professional. Believe it or not I am all for researching aromatherapy techniques! :D if that is any consolation.


p.p.s 1000 blog points. This one was a doosie. 



No comments:

Post a Comment